Chris founded the igloo business in 2001 with the belief that value is created from sustainable approaches to regeneration. With collaborators, Chris spearheaded the launch of the igloo regeneration fund, managed by Aviva Investors. This was described by the United Nations as “the world’s first responsible real estate fund” and uses the internationally acclaimed sustainable investment policy, footprint®.
Through his founding purpose ‘to do well by doing good for people, place and planet’, Chris has led igloo to deliver some of the most recognised impact driven schemes in the UK.
Chris is now taking the igloo approach to emerging markets such as UK custom build and community led development to create competitive advantage and investor value.
Chris is Chair or Non Executive Director of:
- Igloo Regeneration Fund, a £300 million fund backed by Aviva Investments which invests in the development of mixed use, environmentally sustainable, well designed, urban regeneration projects on the edge of the UK’s top twenty city centres
- Blueprint, igloo’s partnership with Nottingham City Council undertaking sustainable mixed use regeneration in the East Midlands
- Creative Space, a leading provider of space for the creative, technology and digital media industries
- Chrysalis Fund which lends to job creating workspace and green development projects in Liverpool City Region
- Carillion igloo, an innovative residential developer and Custom Build enabler
- Bartlett Real Estate advisory board
- London CLT advisory board
- Hackney Wick and Fish Island Community Development Trust advisory board
Chris speaks publicly on a range of issues connected with these roles and writes monthly columns for Planning and for Placemaking Resource.
He is also a member of the UK Government’s Property Advisory Panel, the UK Heritage Investment Working Group, a member of the editorial panel for the Journal of Regeneration and Renewal and an Honorary Visiting Fellow at the University of Leicester.
Chris has regularly contributed on strategic government and expert led forums including:
- Urban Task Force finance group
- UK Government’s Urban Sounding Board
- Director of British Urban Regeneration Association
- Director of Home Group (one of the UK’s largest housing associations)
- Member of the Scottish Communities Minister’s Regeneration Sounding Board
- NESTA Mentor
- Chair of the RICS regeneration panel
- Regional Design Ambassador for the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment
- Judge for design and regeneration awards (RIBA, Hackney, Regen & Renewal, Property Week, Brownfield Briefing)
He has been a member of:
- Bristol Housing Commission
- Birmingham Urban Futures Commission
- Haringey 40:20 Carbon Commission
- Princes Trust Foundation projects panel
- The Regen-Now centre of excellence steering group
- A6 Single Regeneration Budget Board
- advisor to ‘The Castleford Project’, Channel 4’s series on regeneration
- Ancoats Dispensary, a community led organisation seeking to save this historic hospital for community benefit