Dundas Hill is a former distillery site of approximately 15 acres located in the Port Dundas area of Glasgow, immediately to the north of the city centre and owned by Scottish Canals. The neighbourhood is fast gaining prominence as an alternative, creative destination where watersports and urban adventure activities blend with a strong arts and cultural presence. There is a pioneering spirit in the area, showing how this can influence regeneration right from the start.
The 600 home masterplan prepared for the Dundas Hill site provides an opportunity for high density urban and custom housing focused on the strong creative and design led identity of the city. Delivery commenced with a £5.7m package of site enabling works, with funding support from City Deal. Alongside ground improvement and remediation, this saw the establishment of an extensive framework of woodland planting across the site (3000+ trees), integrated with a network of new public spaces, streets and footpaths, all with the aim of encouraging walking, cycling, urban play and urban rest.
Swales, rain gardens and basins have been expressed in this public realm, which will all serve to reconnect residents with nature, enhance biodiversity and create a healthy urban environment; hyperfast 1GB broadband has also been installed to support flexible, modern lifestyles. Glasgow City Council will now complete the £1.6m transformation of pedestrian and cycle connectivity improvements to the city centre from Port Dundas early in 2020.
Construction of housing is due to commence in 2020, with a local Housing Association in line to deliver affordable homes built to Passivhaus standard. At the same time, Bigg Regeneration (the JV between Scottish Canals and Places for People Capital) will deliver the first for sale homes, building on the success of its nearby Maryhill Locks development. In the early years, the growth of this new community will be supported by a programme of kick-starter activity to be curated by a local community interest company set up to explore and promote social approaches to city development.
The Port Dundas terminus was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790 and was named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, one of the major backers of the Forth and Clyde Canal Company. Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the centre of Glasgow, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal. It became an industrial centre in the 19th century, with textile mills, chemical works, granaries, distilleries, glassworks, iron foundries, power stations and engineering works all operating in the area. In 1859, a brick chimney was built at Port Dundas for F. Townsend. At 454 feet (138 m) it was the tallest chimney in the world at the time, with an outside diameter of 32 feet (9.8 m) at ground level. (source: Wikipedia)
A futuristic ‘Wind Forest’ will be created using bladeless turbines from a Spanish company called Vortex. Each of the stems will be coloured using a palette that draws from the year-round colours of natural woodlands. The 13-metre high wind stems (about the average height of a rowan, hazel or hawthorn tree) generate power by oscillating from a fixed point in the lower half of the structure. The top of each stem has the capacity to circle up to 2 metres across which when amplified over the entire forest will be a spectacular way to generate energy. For full details on the competition and proposal, visit http://www.landartgenerator.org/glasgow/about.html
Scottish Canals has formed a pioneering partnership with Glasgow City Council to deliver change along Glasgow’s Canal. More information on what’s going on and who’s involved can be found at Glasgow Canal Project.